8-10 whole chicken thigh
12 big red chilli (removed seeds)
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 tsp coriander seeds or coriander powder
3 lemongrass, white parts and roughly smashed it
10 lime leaves
6 Indonesian bay leaves (optional)
500 ml coconut milk
500 ml water
Salt to taste
Palm sugar to taste
1/4 cup ABC Indonesian sweet sauce
1. Heat oil in wok/big pot, saute grounded ingredients A until fragrant. Add lemongrass, lime leaves and Indonesian bay leaves. Stir fry until you can smell the leaves and the paste turn drier but not too dry.
2. Put all the chicken thighs and cook for a while until its about half cooked (flip the chicken occasionally).
3. Pour half of the coconut milk and water into the wok/pot, bring to boil. Add the rest of the coconut milk and water.
4. Use medium-low fire and cook until the chicken thighs are fully cooked, stir the chicken thighs once in a while so that it will be cooked evenly. Season with salt and palm sugar, continue to cook for another 5-8 minutes.
*Don't overly flip the chicken as we want to keep the thighs in good shape*
5. let the chicken and the gravy sit in the wok/pot to marinate for a couple of hours.
6. Preheat oven at 200°C. Roast or grill the thighs (skin side up) for 5 minutes and brush some gravy on it. Flip the thighs (skin side down) and grill for another 5 minutes. Brush some gravy again. Turn the thigh again (skin side up), brush some gravy and grill for the last 2-3 minutes.
*Grilling time may vary, it depends on your oven and how dry is your chicken. The chicken shouldn't be dry at all*
7. In another mixing bowl, mix 1-2 cups of gravy with ABC Indonesian sweet sauce. Drizzle or brush the sauce over the grilled chicken thigh. Serve with hot steamed rice.
8. You may also torch the chicken for a few seconds (to make it charred) before brushing the sweet sauce on it.
Note: You may use Air Fryer instead of Oven for grilling.